AgrAbility Winter Workshops, Pierce
February 23 @ 3:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Pierce Fire Station
The following program will be offered at each location:
- Introduction to the Colorado AgrAbility Project- The Colorado AgrAbility project works with Colorado farmers and ranchers and their families engaged in production agriculture to assist them to continue working, despite a long-term illness, permanent injury, aging issues or other physical, cognitive, or behavioral challenges. James Craig and Candy Leathers will introduce you to our new staff as you learn more about the project which is a partnership between Colorado State University Extension and Goodwill Industries of Colorado.
- Ergonomic Safety & Health in Agriculture- Ergonomics is the science of designing the job, equipment, and workspace to fit the worker, while maintaining the efficiency of people in the workplace. AgrAbility staff, Candy Leathers and James Craig will explore “work-related musculoskeletal disorders” and the use of ergonomics to aid in keeping workers safe, comfortable, and productive.
- Mealtime keynote, Whitney Pennington, Outreach Manager for the High Plains Intermountain Center for Agricultural Health, and Safety at CSU will feature an overview of personal protective equipment, commonly referred to as “PPE”. Learn about the kinds of PPE, when it’s necessary, and how to wear it to prevent exposure to farm and ranch health hazards. All workshop attendees will receive a free PPE kit (respirators, ear plugs, and more)
- Drought and the Colorado River, Perspectives for Agriculture-Dr. Rebecca Hill will discuss the Colorado River Compact, current responses in face of drought and increasing water demands and the implications this could have on agriculture in the future.
- Resiliency and Stress Management on the Farm and Ranch- Resilience is the ability to cope with and recover from setbacks. Agricultural can be a stressful way of life and while we can’t control the weather, market prices, or fuel costs there are many steps we can take to manage our stress levels and strengthen our relationships. Join Chad Reznicek MA, LPC, to learn about resiliency practices, stress management, and how to look out for those we care about.